Visual Report Writer, Data Accesss new end user reporting tool sees a new release in January 2011.
The two noteworthy features are
- Offload to server for DataFlex and ODBC
- Support for Stored Procedures
These should have a significant effect on performance, as instead of processing records locally, Visual Report Writer will now tap into the power of the database server to return only the data that is needed for fulfilling the data selections determined by the report. At the same time, the setting up of data filtering using the Filter expert has been made easier.
Stored procedures are a more complex feature, and you need some understanding of the way SQL databases work to appreciate what this means. In general, if you are reporting against an SQL driven database then stored procedures may now be called. These typically include data validation or access control mechanisms and may also be used to consolidate extensive or complex processing that requires the execution of several SQL statements, returning only the data resulting from that processing. Stored procedure support means that Visual Report Writer is now well equipped as a reporting tool against corporate style databases.
Other improvements include
- Use of Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to zoom preview/designer
- Option to save repository in Database Expert
- Save Most Recently Used list when opening report (not only when exiting VRW)
- Add status information to MRU list showing full path of the report
- Show field types/length in Field Explorer
- Save options when clicking OK in dialogue (not only when exiting VRW)
- Add option for showing guidelines to Options dialogue
- Add all available colours in Format Field dialogue as constants in functions
And one for Visual DataFlex related report development
- Support for VDF workspace files (.sws and .ws). This also enables different locations for filelist/dat files
- Add ability to change sort order from OCX (VDF application integration)
- Add ability to change the filter expert data from the OCX (VDF application integration)
Download VRW from here . VRW will function as a 30 day evaluation when un registered.
(Global Account e-mail address - if you dont have one, just put your email address in and it will allow you to register a new account.)
To purchase Visual report writer, call us on 0845 2707747 or email firstname.lastname@example.org